The dedicated staff members of North Kansas City Schools work diligently to improve their practice on a consistent basis. Comprehensive, sustained and intensive professional learning opportunities are designed to improve teachers’ and principals’ effectiveness in raising student achievement.
Specific tracks of professional development in NKC Schools include, but are not limited to, the following:
- A two-year induction program for new and beginning teachers and administrators
- K-12 cohorts focused on literacy across all contents
- K-12 cohorts focused on mathematics
- K-12 Vanguard teams, specializing in technology integration within rigorous and relevant instructional practice
- Collaborative learning for all Administrators
- Collaborative learning for all Teaching and Learning Coaches
It is our belief that professional learning must be job-embedded and function on a continuous cycle of improvement. For this reason, the district provides time for teachers to work in professional learning teams as part of our early release schedule each Thursday. These prescribed times, in addition to block meetings, Back-to-School week, two professional development release days, a catalog of Professional Growth Courses offered throughout the year, and a week-long Summer Academy, all provide options and extensions for teacher learning.
As the Strategic Plan states, “We will dedicate ourselves to educational excellence for every student.” North Kansas City Schools empowers teachers to accomplish this goal through robust professional learning opportunities.
For more information, contact Mitsi Nessa, District Lead Instructional Coordinator, at (816) 321-5805.