Strategic Planning is one of the Board of Education's goals for the Superintendent. (View copy!)
A Strategic Plan is focused on District-wide systemic efforts. The process, by design, engages the community in deep conversations centered on three areas:
- What can we learn from our past successes
- What can we improve upon
- What should we be doing to meet the needs of our students in the next 5, 10 years?
From these efforts, the executive leadership team of the district will develop action plans around the items that need to happen in order to move the plan forward. Action planning is a crucial step that needs to occur on an annual basis to set the District on a course toward continued excellence.
Issues we face as a District are varied and deeply important to the success of our organization and the children we serve. The following is a short list of items that require strategic direction for our continued success:
- Local and State Revenue Decline
- Technology Infrastructure Upgrades
- Growth of Student Population
- Declining Classroom Capacity
- Bonding Capacity Limitations
- Increasing College & Career Readiness of ALL NKC Schools Graduates
- Greater Effectiveness and Efficiencies of District Operations
- Though not an all-inclusive list, it does illustrate the need for planning, implementation and execution of initiatives that produce real and substantial results.
The Strategic Plan would not necessarily change our focus regarding the Mega Goals of increasing graduation rates for career/college readiness and increasing sub-group performance. Rather, the plan would allow us to maintain and exceed the course of excellence and innovation forged by the Big Rocks and our work in R3 Development. More than anything, the plan would allow us to further define what the District and community is most passionate about, and define what we can be the best in the world at accomplishing.
A Strategic Planning Team consisting of community members, students, parents and district staff meets in June 2011 to begin the process of building a new strategic plan.
Strategic Plan Poster (Click here!)
Final Strategic Plan - March 2012 (Click here!)
District Strategic Planning Report - Nov. 22, 2011
District Strategic Planning Report - Oct. 18, 2011
District Strategic Planning Report - Sept. 16, 2011
Timeline Article (2011-2012)