High School Education
Career Planning and Education Guide (Formerly known as Program of Studies)
The Career Planning and Education Guide is a joint effort of high schools and colleges to coordinate classroom instruction, student guidance, career and technical student organizations, career and technical student organizations, career development and community participation for a particular Career Cluster. These plans of study should serve as a guide along with other career planning materials as students continue their career path.
- Career Planning and Education Guide
- 2018-19 Career Planning and Education Guide Supplemental Information
Students in NKC Schools have four diploma options from which to choose. Each is described in more detail in the Career and Planning Education Guide.
- Career/College Readiness Diploma (26 Credits)
- Graduates are recognized as having met entrance requirements for most Missouri universities. Work with your Counselor for more guidance.
- Gold Medallion Honors Diploma (26 Credits)
- Graduates receive honors and are recognized for completing a rigorous program designed to meet all entrance requirements for the University of Missouri system as well as most universities nationwide.
- International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) (26 Credits)
- Graduates receive honors and are recognized for completing rigorous international curricula designed to meet the entrance requirements of the world’s best universities.
- International Baccalaureate Career-Related Program Certificate (IBCP) (26 Credits)
- Graduates receive honors and are recognized for completing rigorous international curricula combined with a career pathway to enter the workforce and/or to meet the entrance requirements of higher learning institutions.
Advanced Placement & Dual Credit
The Advanced Placement Program, administered by the College Board, gives high school students an opportunity to demonstrate what they have learned by taking Advanced Placement (AP) exams. Depending on the AP Score, colleges and universities have the option to grant credit, placement or both to these students. Dual credit classes are college classes offered in conjunction with several area colleges and universities. Students receive college credit as well as high school credit. Most colleges will transfer these credits toward a student's degree program. More information may be found in the Career and Planning Education Guide.
A+ Schools Program
North Kansas City Schools was the first multi-high school district in the state to have all high schools in its district designated as A+ Schools. This program allows high school students to earn scholarships while volunteering and maintaining high academic performance. (Learn more...)
Missouri Connections is an online resource that takes career planning to a higher level. Sponsored by the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Department of Economic Development, Missouri Connections is available to students, parents, school counselors, educators and job seekers at no charge. (Learn more...)
The process of receiving a copy of your high school transcript is easy to do. (Learn how...)