Click on the video to hear information and questions about Early College and the Construction Academy.
The part-time NKC Schools Early College Academy is open to all students entering the senior year of high school during the 2018-2019 school year who meet the qualification standards outlined below. Students who pursue this opportunity will attend MCC- Maple Woods for half of the school day. Transportation will be provided for students who attend in the morning. Students engaged in Early College Academy are still considered full-time NKC students and are eligible for all MSHAA athletics and activities.
Student Benefits and Outcomes
- Students will earn approximately 12 college hours/semester of enrollment at MCC - Maple Woods at NO COST to families
- These college courses will count toward high school graduation requirements AND toward a college degree
- These courses may be part of the CORE 42 that are transferable to any publically-funded 4-year college or university in Missouri (additional information on CORE 42 on the Early College Academy flier). Core 42 Link
- Students can make substantial progress toward earning an Associate of Arts degree if they choose that postsecondary path
- Transportation will be provided for students from their home high school and back to their high school to complete their school day for MCC classes that begin at 8 am and end by 11 am.
Minimum Student Qualifications for Consideration
- Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Official student disciplinary record from the school
- Recommendations from two teachers
- Record of 90% attendance
- College Readiness – Students need a qualifying ACT MCC Placement Test score that places them into college-level classes at MCC (additional information on ACT and MCC Placement Test is on the Early College Academy flier)
- Completed application and a signed agreement to abide by the expectations and responsibilities of the NKC Schools Early College Academy
- Completion of the MCC application for enrollment
- Discussion with Director of Advanced Studies or his designee
The NKC Schools Early College Academy application is available in your school’s student support office or online. Completed applications need to be returned to your school counselor or emailed to the Director of Advanced Studies and Postsecondary Readiness, Dr. Kyle Anderson. Please contact Dr. Anderson with any additional questions.