Parents as Teachers
What is Parents as Teachers?
Parents as Teachers is a free program available to all families living in the North Kansas City School District.
Your child learns more during the first few years of life than at any other time in life. How your child grows and learns during these years — beginning at birth — will influence later development and success in school.
You are the first and most important teacher in your child’s life. Our parent educators will support you on your parenting journey by sharing information about child development including language and thinking skills as well as social and emotional development. They will share information and strategies on strengthening the parent-child relationship and work to ensure you have the supports you need as well to maintain a healthy family.
- Regular visits with a parent educator—in person or virtual.
Visits can be
- In-home (masks currently required)
- Virtual (Video call or phone call)
All visits offer the same high-quality support and discussions about parenting and child development that families have come to expect from Parents as Teachers.
- Ideas for easy, fun, & educational activities for you and your child to do using items already in your home.
- Monthly group connections. These include parent education nights with guest speakers, small group discussions with other parents, and interactive parent-child activities.
- Annual developmental screenings completed during your visits.
- A wealth of resources!! Families have a greater variety of needs right now due to the pandemic. Our parent educators can connect you with resources that will help you meet your family's needs from food and financial assistance to creative ways to give your child new play opportunities at home.
2021-22 Group Connections
Want to learn more?