Parents as Teachers
Enrollment for the 2021-22 School Year Begins August 3rd at 9:00 AM. Families may enroll / re-enroll by registering online or calling the North Kansas City Schools Parents as Teachers (NKC PAT) office at 816-321-5453. Select the form below that is best for your family:
If you have moved out of the district or wish to no longer participate in NKC PAT please complete this Exit Form and we will remove you from our mailing list.
You are encouraged to sign up as soon as possible to reserve your space. We strive to serve as many families as possible however due to funding guidelines, some spaces are limited.
Families that are not immediately matched with a parent educator will be placed on a waitlist. You will be notified via email if you are on the waitlist. Families on the waitlist may receive a developmental screening for each child 3 months old - prekindergarten and are invited to attend all group connections while waiting to be matched with a parent educator.
Please read our Enrollment Newsletter to learn more about what Parents as Teachers will look like this year.
What is Parents as Teachers?
Parents as Teachers is a free program available to all families living in the North Kansas City School District. Your child learns more during the first few year of life than at any other time in life. How your child grows and learns during these years — beginning at birth — will influence later development and success in school.
You are the first and most important teacher in your child’s life. Our parent educators will support you on your parenting journey by sharing information about child development including language and thinking skills as well as social and emotional development. They will share information and strategies on strengthening the parent-child relationship and work to ensure you have the supports you need as well to maintain a healthy family.
- Regular visits with a parent educator—in person or virtual. During the pandemic visits are either in-person outside, or virtual. All visits offer the same high-quality support and discussions about parenting and child development that families have come to expect from Parents as Teachers.
- Ideas for easy, fun, & educational activities for you and your child to do using items already in your home.
- Monthly group connections. These include parent education nights with guest speakers, small group discussions with other parents, and interactive parent-child activities.
- Annual developmental screenings completed during your visits.
- A wealth of resources!! Families have a greater variety of needs right now due to the pandemic. Our parent educators can connect you with resources that will help you meet your family's needs from food and financial assistance to creative ways to give your child new play opportunities at home.
Want to learn more?
- Meet Our Parent Educators
- Watch one of our parent educators in action
- Listen to a podcast and learn more about how our program is supporting families during the pandemic