Parents as Teachers
Interested in enrolling in Parents as Teachers? Complete this online enrollment form or call 816-321-5453. Looking for Success By 6 Information? Scroll to the bottom of the page.
North Kansas City Parents as Teachers is one of 8 programs in the state of Missouri designated as a Blue Ribbon affiliate by Parents as Teachers National Center. This distinction means we are delivering the highest quality service, to the families within our district; truly making a difference in the lives of children.
What is Parents As Teachers?
Parents as Teachers is a free program available to all families living in the North Kansas City School District. Your child learns more during the first few year of life than at any other time in life. How your child grows and learns during these years — beginning at birth — will influence later development and success in school.
You are the first and most important teacher in your child’s life. Our parent educators will support you on your parenting journey by sharing information about child development including language and thinking skills as well as social and emotional development. They will share information and strategies on strengthening the parent-child relationship and work to ensure you have the supports you need as well to maintain a healthy family.
During the pandemic we offer:
- Regular virtual visits with a parent educator through video or phone calls. The virtual home visits offer the same high-quality support and discussions about parenting and child development that families have come to expect from Parents as Teachers.
- Ideas for easy, fun, & educational activities for you and your child to do using items already in your home.
- Monthly virtual group connections. These include parent education nights with guest speakers, small group discussions with other parents, and interactive parent-child activities.
- Annual developmental screenings completed during your virtual visits.
- A wealth of resources!! Families have a greater variety of needs right now due to the pandemic. Our parent educators can connect you with resources that will help you meet your family's needs from food and financial assistance to creative ways to give your child new play opportunities at home.
Want to learn more?
- Watch one of our parent educators in action
- Listen to a podcast and learn more about how our program is supporting families during the pandemic
2020-21 Newsletters and Group Connections
Success By 6
Success By 6 (SB6) is available free of charge to all families, teachers, and specialists in the Northland. It is equipped with child-friendly educational toys and books for children ages birth to 6 years old. Parenting materials are also available for check-out.
We are open and offering online check out with contact-free, curbside pick-up.
*Please note the following Success By Six schedule changes. Normal operating days NOT listed will be available for check out.
- Nov. 23rd - 24th - Open for returns only. Please call 816-321-5453 to arrange drop off.
- Nov. 25th - 27th - Closed - Fall Break.
- Dec. 7th - Dec. 11th - Open for returns only. Please call 816-321-5453 to arrange drop off.
- Dec. 14th - Jan 11th - Close for center move and winter break.
We will reopen at our new location on Jan. 11th.
Early Education Center
6479 N Prospect Ave
Gladstone, Mo 64119
Here's how curbside checkout works:
- Fill out the User Agreement for the 2020/2021 school year.
- View the online toy catalog and book catalog. Additional items may be added throughout the school year. Due to limited availability, you may only check out one toy or puzzle, and one book per child at this time.
- Fill out the online check-out form. Items are checked out for 2 weeks. If the items of your choice are not currently available we will notify you via email.
- We will email you to arrange a curbside pick-up time. This should happen within 24 hours Monday - Friday.
- In 2 weeks return the items in the check-out bag you were given. The return basket will be sitting outside the building doors Monday – Thursday from 1:00 – 5:00 pm, and Friday from 8:00 – noon (when school is in session).
- All items will be quarantined for 72 hours before being sanitized and returned to the check-out rotation.