Parents as Teachers
Parents as Teachers
The Parents as Teachers program will be closed during June and July. If you are new to our program and interested in participating during the 2021-22 school year please complete the family interest form and someone from our staff will be in touch as soon as we return in late July.
For all families currently enrolled in, or on the waitlist for Parents as Teachers, reenrollment for the 2021-22 school year will begin on August 3rd at 9:00 AM. Instructions on how to reenroll will be emailed to you the week of July 27th.
Be sure to check out our Summer Fun Board full of free and/or low-cost activities to do around town. Any family that completes at least 6 items on the board and enrolls in Parents as Teachers in the fall will be entered into a drawing for a Dairy Queen gift card!! Click the link above for complete details.
End of Year Survey
If you participate in Parents as Teachers this year please take a few minutes to share your feedback with us in our End of Year Parent Survey. We value your input and use it to shape our programing for the upcoming school year.
What is Parents as Teachers?
Parents as Teachers is a free program available to all families living in the North Kansas City School District. Your child learns more during the first few year of life than at any other time in life. How your child grows and learns during these years — beginning at birth — will influence later development and success in school.
You are the first and most important teacher in your child’s life. Our parent educators will support you on your parenting journey by sharing information about child development including language and thinking skills as well as social and emotional development. They will share information and strategies on strengthening the parent-child relationship and work to ensure you have the supports you need as well to maintain a healthy family.
- Regular visits with a parent educator—in person or virtual. During the pandemic visits are in-person, outside or virtual. The virtual home visits offer the same high-quality support and discussions about parenting and child development that families have come to expect from Parents as Teachers.
- Ideas for easy, fun, & educational activitiesfor you and your child to do using items already in your home.
- Monthly group connections. These include parent education nights with guest speakers, small group discussions with other parents, and interactive parent-child activities.
- Annual developmental screenings completed during your visits.
- A wealth of resources!! Families have a greater variety of needs right now due to the pandemic. Our parent educators can connect you with resources that will help you meet your family's needs from food and financial assistance to creative ways to give your child new play opportunities at home.
Want to learn more?
- Meet Our Parent Educators
- Watch one of our parent educators in action
- Listen to a podcast and learn more about how our program is supporting families during the pandemic