What Riders & Parents Need to Know
Please click here for our Transportation brochure, which outlines our guidelines and policies.
Guidelines for Transporting Musical Instruments on a Bus
The Following Instruments are NOT transported on NKC School District buses except as noted.
- Double Bass: Not transported on bus (instrument extends beyond seating area)
- Cello: Only transported on orchestra trips when empty seats are available and instrument fits within seat
Band: Drivers may be able to transport instruments that will fit within the confines of a seat for band trips that have extra available empty seats.
- Baritone Saxophone
- French Horns (band trips only*)
- Trombones with cases that will not fit between students within the seat or completely under the seat
- Tenor Saxophone with cases that will not fit between students within the seat or completely under the seat
Percussion: Percussion may be transported on buses specifically reserved to transport band students if there are available empty seats leaving 2 rows between students and percussion, and all percussion items are stowed with the majority of the instrument below the top of the seat. All percussion hardware must be stored in a way to reduce the risk of instruments being projectiles in the event of an accident. No instruments may be stowed in the aisle.
- Percussion Packs:
- Snare Drum
- Tenor Drums (Quads/Quints)
- Bass Drums
- Any percussion hardware that extends into the aisle
- Drum Set
- Oversized Cymbals and Plates
Electronics: For trips with Jazz Band, Pep Band or Electronic Orchestra
- Keyboards that extend beyond the seat and will not fit between seats
- Amps that will not fit on seats with the 75% of amp below seat top
- Guitars and cases that will not fit between seats
Auxiliary (Marching Band): Any auxiliary items that will not fit within or between seats
Note: Parents will be required to find transportation to and from school for any large instruments on this list and/or like-sized instruments and their cases, not included on this list.