Adult Education Orientations
Orientation for High School Equivalency Preparation Classes
Please read the following information to register for orientation:
- You must be a Missouri resident.
- You must be at least 17 years old or older and not enrolled in school.
- You must attend all parts of the orientation to be enrolled in classes. If you cannot attend the entire orientation, you will need to wait for the next scheduled orientation. Orientations are held approximately every 2 1/2 months.
- You must be on time and attend the entire class. Morning classes are from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Evening classes are from 6:00-8:30 p.m.
- Attendance is required. You will attend class twice per week. Evening classes are held on Mondays and Wednesdays. Morning classes are assigned based on the results of your pretests; you may attend on a Monday/Wednesday schedule or a Tuesday/Thursday schedule.
- The minimum attendance class commitment is for 9 weeks. Please arrange child care, transportation, and your work schedule to allow you to attend twice per week for a minimum of 9 weeks. You may need several 9 week sessions to prepare for the HiSET.
- Classes are provided free of charge. Please help us to continue to offer these classes for free by attending all of your required classes.
- We realize that emergencies happen. However, absences will slow your progress toward your goal. If you must be absent, it is your responsibility to contact your teacher to make up your missed work. Multiple absences may result in your dismissal from the program.
- If you are planning to take the HiSET test (formerly the GED), the cost will be $95 for the full battery.
- We do not give the HiSET test at this location. When you and your teacher have determined that you are ready to take that test, we will help you sign up for the test at the best location for you. More information can be found at hiset.ets.org.
- If you will not be able to attend class consistently, consider studying online through the Missouri Learns program. The website is MOLearns.com.
- If English is your second language, you must be able to read at a fifth grade level or higher. If not, please enroll in our Adult ELL Classes.
I acknowledge that I have read, understand and agree to the 12 items listed above by selecting the online registration link HERE.
If you are unable to register for orientation online, you must fill out a registration form which may be found HERE. You may also pick up the form at 3100 NE 83rd St., Suite 2400, Kansas City, MO or request the form via email at email@example.com or by calling 816-321-5011.
- You must be a Missouri resident.
Orientation for Classes for Adult English Language Learners
We offer classes for English Language Learners to improve grammar, pronunciation and vocabulary through the four core skills of:
Morning classes are held at Maple Woods Community College Campus or at the YMCA in North Kansas City. Evening classes are held at Maple Woods Community College Campus or at Eastgate 6th Grade Center.
Students must complete the Orientation session to be enrolled in classes. All students are asked to commit to a minimum of 3 months of classes.
The next Orientation for morning classes is January 11, 2019 from 9am-12:30 pm. The next orientation for evening classes is January 8, 2019 from 6 pm-8:30 pm. YOU MUST REGISTER FOR ORIENTATION.
Please call (816) 321-5011 to register or for more information.
Please do not bring children to any of the Orientation sessions. A friend or spouse may accompany the prospective student if needed to help complete enrollment paperwork.
SNOW DAY POLICY: If North Kansas City Schools is closed due to bad weather, our classes will also be cancelled.