Adult Education & Literacy
Adult classes offered for FREE in the following areas:
- Classes to prepare to take the Missouri High School Equivalency Test
- Classes to prepare to attend college or job training
- School for Adult English Language Learners
- Citizenship Classes for English Language Learner Students
Opportunities for all adult students in our program include:
- Job Search/Career Goals
- Resume Development
- Individual Goal Setting
- Computer Literacy
- Work Skills
All of our instructors are AEL certified. Students are required to make a commitment to consistent attendance and effort. Daytime and evening class schedules are available.
The Adult Education Center classes:
Monday - Thursday:
- Morning classes are 9:30am - 12:00pm
- Evening classes are 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Office hours: 9:00am-1:00pm Monday-Thursday and by appointment
NOTE: The North Kansas City Schools Adult Education Center is open year-round except for the NKC School District holidays and winter/spring break.
SNOW DAY POLICY: If North Kansas City Schools are closed due to bad weather, our classes will also be canceled.
Adult Education Center
6449 North Prospect Ave
Gladstone, MO 64119
Office Hours: 9:00am-1:00pm Monday-Friday and by appointment
HIGH SCHOOL EQUIVALENCY CLASSES
The Adult Education Center offers free preparation classes for adults who want to take the Missouri high school equivalency exam.
- Students must be 17 years old or older and not enrolled in school.
- If English is not your first language, you must be able to read at a fifth grade level or higher to enroll in high school equivalency classes. If not, please enroll in our Adult English Language Learning classes first.
- Students must be Missouri residents.
In order to enroll in classes to prepare for the high school equivalency exam, you must complete an Orientation session. Orientations are held throughout the year. Please click the dark blue REGISTER HERE button above to request an orientation.
Please make sure to check your email for more information once you have signed up for an orientation. You will be emailed one to two weeks prior to your scheduled orientation session.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNER CLASSES
The Adult Education Center offers English Language Learner classes for adults who want to learn or improve their English.
- Classes are free. Students are required to make a 3-month commitment to consistent attendance and effort. Daytime and evening classes are available.
- Classes are taught by AEL-certified instructors.
- Students enrolled in the ELL program are also eligible to attend six, one-hour citizenship classes to help prepare for the citizenship interview. Applicants for citizenship must reside in the U.S. for a minimum of five years (three years if married to a U.S. citizen).
In order to enroll in classes for Adult English Language Learners (ELL), you must complete an ORIENTATION session. To sign up for an ELL Orientation, click on the dark blue REGISTER HERE button above. Orientations are held throughout the year. You will be contacted when there is a space available.
Please make sure we have accurate contact information for you so we can contact you to come in to test and please make sure you are checking your email. You will be notified by phone or email one to two weeks before your scheduled orientation.
For more information call (816) 321-5011.
If you would like to volunteer to help an adult with reading, math or English speaking skills, please submit an application or call (816) 321-5011 for more information.