Early College at UMKC
NKC Schools' Early College Academy at UMKC is offered to seniors. This is an excellent opportunity for students to gain experience navigating a large college or university campus after high school. UMKC offers a wide array of classes – especially the Arts, Engineering, Business, just to name a few.
Please see the applications below.
You are required to complete both applications. If you have questions, please contact your high school counselor or Ms. Gilliland at email@example.com
- ECA UMKC application for potential students: NKC ECA UMKC APPLICATION
- Recommendations for ECA UMKC potential students: ECA-UMKC Recommendations
- Students must also apply to UMKC, use this link: UMKC Application for ECA Students
- Check out our ECA-UMKC Home Page
The part-time NKC Schools Early College Academy-University Missouri Kansas City is open to all students entering their Senior year of high school who meet the qualification standards outlined below. Students who pursue this opportunity will attend UMKC for half of the school day. Students engaged in Early College Academy are still considered full-time NKC students and are eligible for all MSHAA athletics and activities, contingent upon normal MSHSAA credits being met.
Student Benefits and Outcomes
- Students will earn approximately 9-12 college hours/semester of enrollment at UMKC at no cost to families, when expectations are met.
- These college courses will concurrently count toward high school graduation requirements AND a college degree.
- These courses may be part of the CORE 42 that are transferable to any publicly-funded 4-year college or university in Missouri (additional information on CORE 42 on the Early College Academy flyer).
- Students can make substantial progress toward earning a college degree.
Minimum Student Qualifications for Consideration
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Official student disciplinary record from the school
- Recommendations from two teachers
- Record of 90% attendance
- College Readiness – Students need a qualifying ACT or college Placement Test (Accuplacer) score that places them into college-level classes at UMKC (additional information on ACT and College Placement Test is on the Early College Academy flier)
- Completed application and a signed agreement to abide by the expectations and responsibilities of the NKC Schools Early College Academy
- Completion of the UMKC application for enrollment
- Discussion with Assistant Director Postsecondary Readiness or designee.
The NKC Schools Early College Academy application is available via Google form or you may print off the NKC application. Completed applications need to be returned to your school counselor or emailed to the Assistant Director of College and Career Readiness, Shannon Gilliland. Please contact Ms. Gilliland with any additional questions.
Applications will open later this year. Application review and interviews will start in February 2024.
Informational Meetings will begin in high schools in fall 2023 and Winter 2024 (virtually and in person). Students should also check their school counseling sites.
Students and parents of potentially qualified students will receive an email before the 2023 winter break with details about informational meetings. Be sure to check your school email and parents the email you have in PowerSchool for this correspondence.