Parents As Teachers
Parents as Teachers is a free program for all families with children ages prenatal - not yet in kindergarten and living in the North Kansas City School District.
You are the first and most important teacher in your child’s life.
Your child will learn more during their first three years of life than at any other time. Our parent educators are here to support you on your parenting journey by sharing:
- Information about child development (including language, cognitive, motor, and social-emotional milestones)
- Fun, educational activities you can do at home with your child
- Strategies to strengthen the parent-child relationship
- Support on parenting topics includes health and safety, nutrition, sleep, guidance and discipline, and attachment
Families may enroll by completing the online enrollment form or calling 816-321-5453.
Enrollment is open to all families in North Kansas City Schools expecting a child or with a child between the ages of newborn and not yet in kindergarten.
- Personal home visits with a certified parent educator
- Monthly group connections for families to connect with each other. They are a mix of interactive parent-child activities, parent-education nights, and small group discussions with other parents throughout the year.
- Annual developmental screenings for all children. The screening includes language, cognitive, motor, and social-emotional development, as well as hearing, vision, dental, and health.
- A wealth of resources!! Parent educators can connect you with resources that will help you meet your family's needs, from food and financial assistance to new places to visit in the community for fun family outings.