Safety & Security
One of North Kansas City Schools' most important goals is to provide a safe learning environment for all students where they can be challenged to grow every day. The safety of students, staff, and teachers is a top priority. The Safety & Security team works diligently to ensure that our district's facilities and programs serve students at the highest level.
Tips & Information for Parents
- Please ensure that your contact information, as well as emergency contacts' is up to date in PowerSchool. Please contact your school to make any changes. It is critically important that we can get in touch with you if needed.
- Know that in a crisis, our first priority is ensuring the safety of all students and staff. Once this critical step is complete, we will begin communicating with parents and guardians as soon as possible, often within minutes. NKC Schools uses School Messenger, an automated system, to send phone calls, texts and emails. Please be sure that you have not blocked communication from the district or your child's school. In some cases, the district website, partnerships with local media and/or social media may also be utilized.
- In an emergency, we ask parents not to come to or call the school. It is important to keep the streets, parking area, and phone lines open for emergency responders and communication. We will provide information to parents through the district communication channels.
Contact Safety & Security
A confidential tip line is available for all schools. Visit KCcrimestoppers.com to submit information anonymously.
If this is an emergency, call 911.
Comprehensive Security Measures in NKC Schools
At our schools, a comprehensive system of layered security measures is in place across each building. All school buildings and sites have secure entrances with controlled access. Visitors are required to identify themselves and provide a photo ID that is scanned and checked against sex offender databases. All high schools have command centers with monitored cameras covering all schools within the high school’s feeder pattern. Lockdown procedures are practiced multiple times each year by staff and students. All employees receive training annually. The district continually monitors social media in partnership with law enforcement agencies to assess potential concerns.
North Kansas City Schools employs 19 experienced school resource deputies who serve across all of our schools. At the secondary level, 15 campus supervisors patrol halls on a continual basis. We appreciate their diligence in building relationships with students while providing for their safety.
In recent years, a number of additional security upgrades have been made at each of our school sites, including:
- Visitor check-in and identification systems
- Facility key card access
- Upgraded door locks
- Playground security updates at elementary sites
- Additional staff training