How to Find Information
In the case of a change to normal school operation due to inclement weather, families will be notified in several ways:
- District Website: www.nkcschools.org provides the first notification of school closings and other cancellations.
- Email, Phone Call & Text Message: Phone, email and optional text messages are sent to school families and employees when classes are canceled, delayed or students are released early. To opt-in to receive text messages, text “YES” to 67587.
- Social Media: Information will be posted on the district’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Radio & TV: Local stations share announcements on air and on their websites.
How Are Snow Day Decisions Made?
Inclement Weather Updates for 2020-2021
NKC School's goal, as always, is to ensure the safety of all during inclement weather events while minimizing disruption to students’ learning. If weather conditions or other unexpected, short-term events make it unsafe for students to attend in person, the district has several options: school may start two hours late, students may be released early, or in-person classes may be canceled entirely due to inclement weather.
NKC Schools is prepared to support learning no matter the forecast. This year, the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) allowed school districts to utilize virtual learning in place of a traditional “snow day.” Virtual learning days are intended to minimize disruption to student learning without altering nor adding days to the school calendar. As of February 2021, NKC Schools has experienced six inclement weather days. Through the engagement of students in virtual learning on each of these days, our last day of school will remain Friday, May 28.
VIRTUAL LEARNING DAYS
During inclement weather days, North Kansas City Schools will continue online learning for all K-12 students to minimize disruptions to the educational process.
- Both elementary and secondary students should log in to Canvas to view communication from teachers and complete assignments for the day.
- Teachers will work with students to prepare for the possibility of inclement weather days, ensuring that they have access and can utilize Canvas from home. Our preschool teachers will also be communicating plans with the families they serve for these inclement weather days.
- Please ensure that your student logs in and completes all assignments on these days.
- Adventure Club will continue to operate on all inclement weather days at their snow day/full day sites. Hours of operation will be 7:15 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- The last day of school for 2020-2021 will not change as a result of virtual learning days and will remain Friday, May 28.
A two-hour delayed start will be used for days when daylight and additional time to treat roads mean safe passage is possible for students. Late start days are considered full school days and are not required to be made up. In this case, the school day will begin two hours later at each building throughout the district.
- On a two-hour delayed start day, all buses will pick up students two hours later than the regular pickup times, but the drop-off times will NOT change.
- All schools will end their day at the regular end time with one exception. On Wednesdays beginning in December 2020, elementary schools will follow a flexible learning schedule, dismissing students two hours early. If the district activates the two-hour delayed start, the Wednesday schedule with early dismissal would still be honored.
- Alternate stops for buses will be in effect on two-hour delayed start days. Transportation will communicate directly with all families affected by alternate stops.
- On delayed start days, Adventure Club will operate at all schools from 6:45 a.m. to 6 p.m.
In the case of developing weather conditions, the district may call for an early dismissal of all students.
- There will be no evening activities including Community Education classes. Exceptions will be posted on the district website at: www.nkcschools.org.
- District athletes should refer to the Inclement Weather Guidelines for Athletics posted on the district website.
WHEN SCHOOL IS OPEN
- Dress your child to protect against wind and cold.
- Buses may be a few minutes late. Please wait as we safely run every route.
- Alternate bus stops may be in effect due to road conditions. Bus riders on alternate routes are notified directly by Transportation Services via SchoolMessenger.
- We respect your decision to keep your child home when the weather is questionable.