As people and businesses began migrating north of the Missouri River in the early twentieth century, they quickly realized the need to provide future generations with local schools and a high quality education. North Kansas City incorporated as a town on Nov. 4, 1912.
A few months later, on March 14, 1913, North Kansas City School District 74 was formed by the merging of Harlem School District 72 and Glenwood School District 73.
The following summer, the first school was built by the newly-formed district. Kenneth School was constructed at 21st Avenue and Howell Street. That first year, the district taught 32 students and employed one principal, an assistant and two teachers. Soon, more teachers and classrooms were added as enrollment steadily rose, and in January 1926, North Kansas City High School opened. It still stands today as home to hundreds of high school students, teachers, and staff members.
Now, the district encompasses more than 30 schools and 82 square miles, and ranks among the largest in Missouri. Yet, it has remained true to its humble roots and its mission — providing innovative educational experiences for families who proudly call the Northland home.
Learn more about key events from the district's first 100 years: Centennial Countdown (PDF)