Thank you for your interest in becoming a YouthFriend in NKC Schools! Applicants interested in applying are welcome to submit an application, however due to safety precautions we are not currently enrolling new YouthFriends at this time.
We look forward to returning to our enrollment process in the near future.
The District Partners in Education program will communicate with applicants once our process re-opens.
YouthFriends are mentors who support students academically. Applicants are trained, interviewed and complete a child abuse and neglect screening as well as a criminal background screening prior to being placed with district students.
Screening Information: All applicants will submit to a check of child abuse/neglect and a criminal background screening. There is no charge to the applicant for the background screenings unless they live in the state of Kansas. For Kansas residents, there is a $10.00 applicant fee for the Kansas Child Abuse & Neglect screening. Please bring a check for the Kansas fee to the training and our office will submit your payment with the paperwork. The district partners with Validity Screening Solutions for a check of criminal history. Information to complete Validity's criminal background screening will be provided at the training.
YouthFriend volunteers must commit to serving in one of the below capacities for at least an hour each month.
- Before or After School Activities: Coach a group of students in a specific activity or share a skill with students such as acting, sewing, etc.
- Breakfast or Lunch Buddy: Meet with students during breakfast or lunch and take time to have a conversation with them about what's going on in life. Encourage students to always be and do their best in all they do.
- Classroom Helper: Assist students in the classroom with various academic activities.
- Library Assistant: Help students as they come to the library media center looking for books or researching information for a class assignment.
- Tutor: Help students build self-esteem and confidence to succeed in school through supporting them with the academic studies.
- Off-Site Volunteer: Supporting the needs of teachers, front office staff, school nurse, working in the library before and after student arrival and dismissal, or other tasks the school deems appropriate as long as the volunteer is not working with confidential information off-site. Virtual visits could also be another option if determined by the school to be an appropriate and safe connection for the students.
For more information about YouthFriends, call the Partners in Education office at (816) 321-5018 or email email@example.com.
School Involvement Opportunities
NKC Schools welcomes family involvement in our schools. Opportunities to make a difference in our schools include getting involved with a school-parent organization, participating in classroom activities and planning special events. We recognize the significant contributions families can make toward promoting student and classroom excellence.
Families interested in visiting the school to support students in the capacities listed below should contact their neighborhood school directly.
- Attending breakfast or lunch with own child/relation
- Book Fairs (set-up, take-down, check-out)
- Class Parties
- Field Day Events
- PTA/Booster Club
- School Carnivals/Family Fun Night
- Staff Appreciation Events