Parents as Teachers
Watch the March Group Connection: Getting Ready for Kindergarten!
North Kansas City Parents as Teachers is one of 8 programs in the state of Missouri designated as a Blue Ribbon affiliate by Parents as Teachers National Center. This distinction means we are delivering the highest quality service, to the families within our district; truly making a difference in the lives of children.
What is Parents As Teachers?
Parents as Teachers is a free program available to all families living in the North Kansas City School District. Your child learns more during the first few year of life than at any other time in life. How your child grows and learns during these years — beginning at birth — will influence later development and success in school.
You are the first and most important teacher in your child’s life. Our parent educators will support you on your parenting journey by sharing information about child development including language and thinking skills as well as social and emotional development. They will share information and strategies on strengthening the parent-child relationship and work to ensure you have the supports you need as well to maintain a healthy family.
During the pandemic we offer:
- Regular virtual visits with a parent educator through video or phone calls. The virtual home visits offer the same high-quality support and discussions about parenting and child development that families have come to expect from Parents as Teachers.
- Ideas for easy, fun, & educational activities for you and your child to do using items already in your home.
- Monthly virtual group connections. These include parent education nights with guest speakers, small group discussions with other parents, and interactive parent-child activities.
- Annual developmental screenings completed during your virtual visits.
- A wealth of resources!! Families have a greater variety of needs right now due to the pandemic. Our parent educators can connect you with resources that will help you meet your family's needs from food and financial assistance to creative ways to give your child new play opportunities at home.
Want to learn more?
- Watch one of our parent educators in action
- Listen to a podcast and learn more about how our program is supporting families during the pandemic
2020-21 Newsletters and Group Connections
Next Group Connection: Getting Ready for Kindergarten!